Turmeric, also known as “Haldi” in India has been accepted as the miracle spice in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of medicine. The spice that is majorly used for flavoring the curries has found applications in preventing and treating many health conditions as well. The golden spice, also called “Golden Goddess” in Ayurveda is one of the most beneficial medicinal plants capable of treating wide spectrum of health ailments.
Ayurveda has accepted turmeric for its healing qualities that can be availed by either external or internal applications as prescribed by the Ayurveda experts. Turmeric has rich anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties that heal many ailments whether applied internally or externally. Ayurveda suggests different ways to get the best out of turmeric by increasing its bioavailability. Here are some tried and tested formulations of turmeric that would work efficiently for different ailments.
• Cough and Cold – Quite a popular use of turmeric accepted by different streams of medicine.
- Add turmeric, basil, and black pepper to boiling water. Brew it for couple of minutes to prepare turmeric tea. Black pepper increases the bioavailability of turmeric by almost 2000% for better absorption.
- Turmeric and salt taken with clarified butter may work as great remedy for soothing sore throat.
- Pinch of powdered turmeric in 1 teaspoon honey will relieve cough. Honey and turmeric is the perfect formula for natural cough syrup.
• Anemia – Turmeric is natural blood purifier and at the same time it also raises the hemoglobin level satisfactorily. Add fresh turmeric to vegetable juice to cure anemia. Having fresh turmeric juice or powdered turmeric with honey would also help treating anemia. Turmeric is quite rich in iron content and that can work well for anemia.
• Cardiovascular Health – Turmeric and cinnamon powder in warm water is known to cleanse your blood vessels of harmful cholesterol. If possible, take it as first thing in morning for best results.
• Diabetes – Insulin resistance or poor absorption of insulin is one of the main reasons for diabetes. Turmeric increases the insulin absorption in body and hence regulates the blood sugar levels effectively. Daily consumption of 1 tsp of turmeric powder has shown good results in Type 2 diabetes. You can take turmeric powder directly but if you find it difficult to swallow then mix it with water.
• Injury and General Wellness – Turmeric is the solution for general wellness. It also helps in internal injuries. Turmeric milk, which is very easy to prepare by adding one teaspoon turmeric powder to one cup milk has been used as the remedy for internal injuries. One can develop a habit of having warm turmeric milk at bedtime to attain general wellness, good sleep, and relief from cough and cold.
• Diarrhea – This golden spice aids digestion. One can add it to curries for quick digestion. It also helps in lowering the symptoms of diarrhea. The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric helps in easing out other symptoms related to indigestion. Take turmeric with yoghurt after meals or add turmeric to water and take thrice in case of diarrhea for quick results.
• Blood Purification – This is one of the most common functions of turmeric. It helps in flushing out harmful toxins from body. It can be used as blood cleanser to enjoy many other health and beauty benefits.
• Sun Tan – Turmeric is the blessing for complexion. Applying the paste of turmeric and milk cream on face would effectively remove sun tan. For added glow, make a past of turmeric, chickpea flour, olive oil, and milk.
Apply this paste on the face, leave it for some time and wash it off in circular motion. It will remove facial hair, dead skin, and sun tan at the same time.
• Burns – Minor burns can be treated easily with turmeric application. Mix turmeric with aloe vera gel and apply on the affected area.
• Dental Health – Color of turmeric is surely not very inviting when it comes to teeth, however if you think of the gum health, turmeric is always great thing to use. Apply turmeric and salt on gums, rub it gently and rinse it with water. If you are concerned about the yellow tint of turmeric on teeth then apply this before going to bed. Turmeric can be applied on child’s gums when they lose their milk teeth. It instantly stops bleeding and works as antiseptic.
• Injuries – Apply turmeric on the wounds and cuts. It stops further bleeding while working as effective antiseptic formula. It works well on mouth injuries where you cannot apply any other ointment. Turmeric can be applied on mouth ulcers too.
• Swelling and sprain – Turmeric brings down swelling considerably. Heat turmeric with water to form a paste like texture. Apply warm turmeric paste on the affected area, leave it overnight to bring down swelling and pain. Turmeric is effective on bruises.
• Eczema and fungal infection – Turmeric is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Applying turmeric paste on eczema, fungal infection, psoriasis, and athlete’s foot will reduce the itching and related symptoms.
• Clearing Sinus – Chronic sinus causes headache, smell disorders, nosebleeds, and stuffy nose. Turmeric powder mixed with clarified butter must be applied on mucus lining in the nose. This will help in relieving sinus
External application of turmeric has shown promising results provided you use pure turmeric for the application. If using turmeric from spice box, make sure that it doesn’t have other spices mixed with it else you will end up hurting yourself instead of getting the due advantages.
Turmeric and Ayurveda have walked hand in hand since ages. This ancient medical science have researched, applied, and penned down unlimited advantages of the golden spice. Specific ways of using turmeric are already mentioned to attain specific health advantages. The results may be slow and sometimes not even noticeable, however one may continue using this miracle spice as it is free of any side-effects. Turmeric is the natural remedy for overall health and wellness, hence make it a routine to enjoy healthy life ahead.
Turmeric, also known as “Haldi” in India has been accepted as the miracle spice in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian science of medicine. The spice that is majorly used for flavoring the curries has found applications in preventing and treating many health conditions as well.